Can anyone recommend an external firewire-based drive?

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Wed Nov 14 12:41:02 PST 2007

David Kelly writes:
 > On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 12:09:47PM -0600, Doug Poland wrote:
 > > Hello,
 > >
 > > I'm looking for an external, firewire-based, hard-drive from which to
 > > run FreeBSD 7.0 (i386).  Ideally, I'd boot from this device as well, but
 > > I'm not sure if FreeBSD (or my BIOS) supports booting from firewire.
 > >
 > > Can anyone recommend a manufacturer and/or model?
 >
 > I haven't used it with FreeBSD but my Seagate 300G works very with
 > Macintosh. LaCie is another highly respected brand among Mac users.
 >
 > There were some Western Digital Firewire externals on the market but
 > many Mac users had problems. With Apple as one of Firewire's parents its
 > pretty sad if a Firewire product doesn't work with a Mac.

Are you running Mac OS X on your mac, or FreeBSD?

I've had (until last week) an 8-core mac pro that was dual booting
FreeBSD RELENG_6 and Mac OS X.

FreeBSD would lock up the machine whenever I plugged a firewire disk
drive into it (I tried 4 different disk drives).  I'd see a couple of
messages via syslog and boom.  I didn't have time to debug it and now
no longer have the machine, so this is useless as a bug report, but
I'm curious what your experience has been.

I'm planning to buy myself a mac pro in the near future (as soon as
they announce the penryn based models) and am planning to dual boot
RELENG_7 on it.  If it's still having firewire problems, I'll follow
up with a proper bug report.

g.