defrag

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Mar 1 21:14:17 UTC 2007

Steve Franks wrote:
> Excellent!  Never had that one answered.  I've gone down the typical
> road of being an MS booster ("It doesn't take 10 hours to set up and
> configure") to experiencing glee when I find yet another way FBSD
> kicks the crap out of MS.  Why?  Because I've grown up, and learned
> that 2 hours time spent *reading* and configuring is way better than 2
> days time spent when the system crashes in the middle of the workweek
> - bottom line, BSD is cheaper before, during, and after installation.
> Probably by a factor of 10 for me over the last 10 years.  As I write
> this, I'm on a MS laptop that has degraded to the point where any disk
> acess takes 10 seconds before the display updates (but not from the
> shell - so not a defrag issue, just a screwed registry or something).
> I used to reinstall my entire MS server every 6 months, on average...
>
> Steve

There are some advantages to FBSD, for certain.  Your last sentence is a
huge example, although I know some Winservers that have been running on
the same "install" for quite some time (but some of those have to be
rebooted fairly often).  A big *BSD argument is uptime - my personal
server record is ~450 days, but you do kinda worry because there was
probably supposed to be a security fix with a new kernel somewhere
during that time period....

Pietro Cerutti wrote:
>> groff /usr/share/doc/smm/05.fastfs/* ~/ffs.ps
>> ps2pdf ~/ffs.ps
>> acroread ~/ffs.pdf
>>
>> But there's probably a better way --- I'm certainly "one offing" today.
>>
 > groff /usr/share/doc/smm/05.fastfs/* > ~/ffs.ps

Err, yes; that's today's "one off groff" ... thanks.  Never type what
you can copy/paste....  B-/

KDK
--
Hear about...
	the guru who refused Novocain while having a tooth pulled because he