defrag

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Thu Mar 1 20:50:46 UTC 2007

Excellent!  Never had that one answered.  I've gone down the typical
road of being an MS booster ("It doesn't take 10 hours to set up and
configure") to experiencing glee when I find yet another way FBSD
kicks the crap out of MS.  Why?  Because I've grown up, and learned
that 2 hours time spent *reading* and configuring is way better than 2
days time spent when the system crashes in the middle of the workweek
- bottom line, BSD is cheaper before, during, and after installation.
Probably by a factor of 10 for me over the last 10 years.  As I write
this, I'm on a MS laptop that has degraded to the point where any disk
acess takes 10 seconds before the display updates (but not from the
shell - so not a defrag issue, just a screwed registry or something).
I used to reinstall my entire MS server every 6 months, on average...

Steve

--
Steve Franks, KE7BTE
Staff Engineer