Backup procedure question / theory

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 18:35:53 UTC 2007

On 01/03/07, Nick Withers <nick at nickwithers.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 11:46:07 +0000
> Dave Carrera <dave at ephgroup.com> wrote:
>
> > HI All,
> >
> > I need to automatically once a day backup some files on my Win 2003
> > serve to my remote FreeBSD box running v6.
> >
> > What i need specifically is to compress the win files as small as
> > they can be then either set my FreeBSD box to go a get the file or
> > tell win to send it to my FreeBSD box.
> >
> > The stumbling block here is me, i have absolutely no idea what i
> > need to do on each box to achieve this, having never done it before.
>
> Not necessarily what you're after (may be a little excessive for your
> tastes), but I'd recommend Bacula (www.bacula.org).
>
> Failing that, perhaps a script to zip the files on the Win box then
> copy it to a Samba share on the FreeBSD box? Or mount a Windows
> share containing the files to be backed up on the FreeBSD box and
> bzip2 / gzip them to a file on the FreeBSD machine. A little off-topic
> here, perhaps...

Off the top of my head, having a home directory
for the backups on the freebsd box and scripting
in scp on the windows machine (probably have to
install putty since appearantly ssh isn't a standard
enough protocol for MS to Embrace and Extend it
yet) obviates samba.  If you already have samba
installed, use that.  If you have a reliable and
useable nfs client for windows, that would work too.