Mounting an FTP space ?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Mar 1 16:43:52 UTC 2007

Never you mind wrote:
> On my Mac from the Finder I can select "Connect to server", give it the
> details of an ftp location and it will connect and display the ftp space
> as a drive on the desktop.
>
> Can I obtain the same sort of functionality using freeBSD and xfce
> desktop manager?

The built in "file manager" Thunar doesn't seem to have this
functionality (though I stand ready to be corrected if I'm wrong, I
tested casually and scanned the manpage), but there are 125 programs in
/usr/ports/ftp, and one of them should work.

And, just to show that I'm not being overtly cynical here, here's a
short list of those programs that seem to be graphical and client-side
in nature; perhaps one of them will suit you, or others could comment on
their use.  Terminals and ftp(1) for me ;-)

Note that a] I've probably missed some; b] Those that start with "K" are
probably for KDE and might not be something you want to get into (lots
of dependencies you may not want) c] possibly ditto with gftp<-->Gnome,
and some others may be rather "heavy"....

iglooftp
wxftp
filezilla
ftpcube
gFTP
JFTP
Kasablanca
Kbear
KFTPGRabber
llnlxdir
multiget
waiho
wmget
wxdfast
Xrmftp

Kevin Kinsey

--
Early to bed and early to rise and you'll
be groggy when everyone else is wide awake.