UPS enabled Shutdown

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Sun Jun 24 15:13:16 UTC 2007

Ivan Carey wrote:
> Hello,
> How do I setup FreeBSD 6.2 to allow a UPS to shutdown a system via a
> USB port.
>
> I may be using a Powerware UPS, I'm not sure which one yet.
>
> Thanks,
> Ivan

As others said, if you get an APC then apcupsd works flawlessly. I am
using it myself on both Linux and FreeBSD.
If you do buy something else though, have a look at

/usr/ports/sysutils/nut

This is the network ups tools program that supports a variety of UPSes
and is very configurable. Have a look at their website and see if it
supports your intended model.
I have not used the BSD port myself, but I am using it with a cheap
mustek ups on Linux and it works without problems.

Manolis