Can't burn cds

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Thu Jul 26 22:59:03 UTC 2007

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
>
> uname -v
> FreeBSD 6.0-SECURITY #0: Wed Feb 14 12:22:36 UTC 2007
> root at builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
>
> grep cd /var/run/dmesg.boot
> acd0: DVDROM <HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8163B/0D20> at ata0-master UDMA33
> acd1: CDRW <TSSTcorpCD-RW TS-H292B/DE03> at ata0-slave UDMA33
>
> camcontrol devlist
> <Maxtor 3200 0344>                 at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (da0,pass0)
>
> camcontrol inquiry 0:0:0
> pass0: <Maxtor 3200 0344> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-4 device
> pass0: Serial Number 2CAH3H6P
> pass0: 40.000MB/s transfers
>
> camcontrol inquiry 0:1:0
> camcontrol: cam_open_btl: no passthrough device found at 0:1:0
>
> camcontrol inquiry da0
> pass0: <Maxtor 3200 0344> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-4 device
> pass0: Serial Number 2CAH3H6P
> pass0: 40.000MB/s transfers
>
> camcontrol inquiry da1
> camcontrol: cam_lookup_pass: CAMGETPASSTHRU ioctl failed
> cam_lookup_pass: No such file or directory
> cam_lookup_pass: either the pass driver isn't in your kernel
> cam_lookup_pass: or da1 doesn't exist
>
> ls /dev/acd*
> /dev/acd0       /dev/acd1
>
> cdcontrol -f /dev/acd1
> Compact Disc Control utility, version 2.0
> Type `?' for command list
>
> cdcontrol> eject
> cdcontrol> close
> cdcontrol> info
> cdcontrol: getting toc header: Input/output error
> cdcontrol: Input/output error
>
> burncd -ef /dev/acd1 data
> /home/pauls/Downloads/RedHat/RHEL4-U5-x86_64-ES-disc1.iso fixate
> burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCWRITESPEED): Input/output error
>
> What the heck is going on?  The device is there.  Dmesg shows that the kernel
> knows what it is.  Yet I can't read or write cds, and, as you can see,
> camcontrol thinks it's non-existant.  Yet cdcontrol will open and close the
> drive but can't provide any info???  What am I missing?
>
> --
> Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)

camcontrol isn't going to know anything about IDE devices, it only
knows about SCSI.

It's hard to see without the propmpts, but are you trying to use
burncd as root?  A normal user isn't going to have the neccessary
privs. to write a cd by default.

cdcontrol is simply telling you it can't read the TOC of the cd in the
drive, presumably because there's no cd in it.  I haven't used
cdcontrol in ages, but it's possible it needs root (in the case that
you were using it as a normal user with a disk in the drive)

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel