OT: Does a low-cost, reliable switch exist?

Modulok modulok at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 14:41:27 UTC 2007

> > Sometimes they work for a day, a week, even a month without problems. Then
> > at a random time of day or night, boom network goes down. It's not any
> > individual defective switch as I've tried re-ordering them several times
> as
> > well as testing them individually. The cables are all good and wired
> > correctly. I've pulled my hair out trying to find what's wrong. I'm not
> sure
> > I care anymore. I just need something stable enough that I can catch some
> > sleep without this re-occurring nightmare.
>
> Are the switches behind a UPS?

Yup. When the power flickers, they still function fine behind the UPS
(despite a 0.5 volt drop). I still have yet to determine the reason
for the lockups, despite a bit of testing.

 Thanks to all who contributed, this thread has been quite quite
helpful.  It looks like I have a bit of shopping around to do now.
I'll report back to the list if I find anything noteworthy.

Thanks guys!
-Modulok-