OT: Does a low-cost, reliable switch exist?

Jim Capozzoli saltmiser at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 16:51:16 UTC 2007

On 7/15/07, Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote:
> Norberto Meijome wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:42:09 -0600
> > Modulok <modulok at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Currently I'm using 3 Netgear GS108 Gigabit blue-box switches chained
> >> together for local traffic, with a FreeBSD server acting as the gateway to
> >> the outside world, running ipfw and natd. The switches eventually lock up.
> >
> > I've given up on netgear for any new purchases...is still have a stack of
> > them,but wouldnt use them for anything critical.
> >
> >> Sometimes they work for a day, a week, even a month without problems. Then
> >> at a random time of day or night, boom network goes down. It's not any
> >> individual defective switch as I've tried re-ordering them several times as
> >> well as testing them individually. The cables are all good and wired
> >> correctly. I've pulled my hair out trying to find what's wrong. I'm not sure
> >> I care anymore. I just need something stable enough that I can catch some
> >> sleep without this re-occurring nightmare.
> >
> > Are the switches behind a UPS?
> >

> What he said - I use consumer grade Linksys in my office - both wireless
> routers and wired switches.  They have been rock solid for several years.
> But ... the switch is sitting on a UPS IIRC...
>
> --

I have a 5 port SD205 by linksys...it works fine, but the 5th port
light is dead. :P  Power outages don't cause troubles for that switch,
it can handle being turned on with stuff active on it.

Of course, being on a not-so-great cable connection, my internet
connection drops every few days, requiring a hard reboot of the cable
modem.  Hope this helps somebody.

--
Jim Capozzoli
D6499626857801B6065013E3645A6B75