How-to build / make / install

Don Munyak don.munyak at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 21:15:15 UTC 2007

Thanks, here's the latest attempts I've made...

> Have you had a look in the ports tree to see if you can find Hobbit there?

Yes, no port is available.

> Otherwise, gmake is available from ports/devel/gmake, just do cd
> ports/devel/gmake and make install clean and then you've got it.

added gmake before hand. # make, then # make install clean

gcc and g++ are also installed.

> Then you do MAKE=gmake ./configure-server or whatever in the source
> catalog for hobbit.

Not sure what the source catalog is??

from /hobbit-4.2.0 folder

	don-bsd# ./configure

	Configuration script for Hobbit

	This script asks a few questions and builds a Makefile to compile Hobbit

	Checking your make-utility
	GNU make is required to build Hobbit.
	If it is available as "gmake", run configure as: 'MAKE=gmake
./configure.server'
	don-bsd#

I can see that this message is from the file "configure.server". Snip
of code below.

{snip from configure.server file}

echo "Checking your make-utility"
MAKEVER=`$MAKE -version 2>&1 | head -n 1 | awk '{print $1 " " $2}'`
if test "$MAKEVER" != "GNU Make"
then
	echo "GNU make is required to build Hobbit."
	echo "If it is available as \"gmake\", run configure as: 'MAKE=gmake $0'"
	exit 1
fi

echo "Checking pre-requisites for building Hobbit"
echo ""
. build/fping.sh
echo ""; echo ""
. build/rrd.sh
echo ""; echo ""
. build/pcre.sh
echo ""; echo ""

{...end-snip}

But seems to bail right after the echo "If it is available as \"gmake\"...

Thanks
Don