How-to build / make / install

Niclas Zeising niclas.zeising at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 16:49:28 UTC 2007

On 1/18/07, Don Munyak <don.munyak at gmail.com> wrote:
> How-to build/make/install
>
> {disclaimer}...I've been using FreeBSD for about a year, so while I
> consider myself still a n00b, I'm just not a complete n00b :) OS:
> 6.1-RELEASE
>
> I really need some help building a package for install (if that's the
> correct terminology).
>
> hobbitmon is the next re-named version of big brother
> http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/
>
> I have downloaded the tar.gz file into /usr/local/etc
> I extracted the tar using:
>
>        don-bsd# tar xvfz file.tar.gz
>
> then I cd in to the directory
>        don-bsd# cd /usr/local/etc/hobbit-4.2.0
>
> The directory listing is as follows:
>
>        don-bsd# pwd
>        /usr/local/etc/hobbit-4.2.0

[SNIP filelisting]

> The README says to simply
>        don-bsd# ./configure
>        don-bsd# make
>        don-bsd# make install
>
> However, when I type ./configure  from /usr/local/etc/hobbit-4.2.0
>
>        don-bsd# ./configure
>
>        Configuration script for Hobbit
>
>        This script asks a few questions and builds a Makefile to compile Hobbit
>
>        Checking your make-utility
>        GNU make is required to build Hobbit.
>        If it is available as "gmake", run configure as: 'MAKE=gmake
> ./configure.server'
>        don-bsd#
>
> *****
>
> Help please, Thanks

Have you had a look in the ports tree to see if you can find Hobbit there?
Otherwise, gmake is available from ports/devel/gmake, just do cd
ports/devel/gmake and make install clean and then you've got it.
Then you do MAKE=gmake ./configure-server or whatever in the source
catalog for hobbit.
The thing that might be weird is that FreeBSD installs ports in
/usr/local/[bin,sbin] by default, you'll proably end up with hobbit in
/usr/[bin,sbin] if you don't install it from ports. See if you can
find a configure parameter to set the install directory to where you
want to install hobbit.
HTH
//Niclas