more then 2G shm on RELENG_7

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Dec 5 19:52:16 PST 2007

Gergely CZUCZY wrote:

> Amd64, of course.
>
> Dec  5 11:43:11 sqltest postgres[1091]: [1-1] FATAL:  could not create shared memory segment: Cannot allocate memory
> Dec  5 11:43:11 sqltest postgres[1091]: [1-2] DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=5432001, size=2151309312, 03600).
>
> That's all I got from the logs.

I'm sure you've seen this in the PGSQL docs:
----------------------------
A message like

FATAL:  could not create shared memory segment:
	Invalid argument
DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=5440001,
	size=4011376640, 03600).

probably means your kernel's limit on the size of shared memory
is smaller than the work area PostgreSQL is trying to create
(4011376640 bytes in this example). Or it could mean that you
do not have System-V-style shared memory support configured
into your kernel at all. As a temporary workaround, you can
try starting the server with a smaller-than-normal number of
buffers (shared_buffers). You will eventually want to reconfigure
your kernel to increase the allowed shared memory size. You
may also see this message when trying to start multiple
servers on the same machine, if their total space requested
exceeds the kernel limit.

You might look in the FreeBSD GNATS database at bug 77353, and
see if the advice there assists you in correction of the problem.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
--
If people see that you mean them no harm,
they'll never hurt you, nine times out of ten!