xfce 4.4 questions

Richard Deal rl_deal at verizon.net
Sat Aug 25 15:12:02 PDT 2007

Folks,

I'm trying to install xfce 4.4 on my FreeBSD 6.1 box, (which I just
upgraded via sysinstall). It ain't workin' and I sure could use some
help. Full disclosure: I'm new to FreeBSD, although I do have a basic
working knowledge of *nix fundamentals.

I was able to install xfce 4.2, but the install is broken -- allow me to
explain. Xfce 4.2  does install, I can start it, but several features
don't work. For example, according to the docs I should see a menu bar
(and options) on xfterm, but it isn't there. Several other install
defaults are busted too. I've reinstalled the OS several times from a
'minimal' install to 'install EVERYTHING', via the CD, upgrades via
sysinstall, via FTP. All were successful). I've installed  XFCE4
according to your docs ("pkg_add -r xfce4") several times, and from
/usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4 ("make install clean"), but still the same
problems. So, I thought I'd try installing a newer version of xfce (4.4).

First question: what is a 'meta port', what does it do and what are it's
limitations? Can't find anything in your docs that speak to this (nor
any of the books I have, most notably the recent 'FreeBSD 6 Unleashed').
Reading the Ports page of your site, specifically the *xfce-4.4.1_1
<http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/x11-wm/xfce4>   *metaport;
'meta' seems to imply "run this and you'll install all the basics you
need to run XFCE 4.4". Either it doesn't work or I've misinterpreted
this. Under xfce-4.4.1, it says: "Requires:...." -- do I really have to
install _every_single_pkg_listed_ BEFORE I install the xfce-4.4.1
metaport??? If so, that seems a bit much. Why can't there be a single
manifest file which calls/installs all those required pkg's as a part of
the metaport installation? In order to install xfce 4.4, do I have to
manually install each and every file/port/pkg listed there which
references xfce4.4?

After doing a fresh OS install (6.1) from CD (X-Kern-Developer package),
followed immediately by an upgrade (via sysinstall/FTP) which included
an istall of the entire ports tree, I tried several ways to install xfce4.4:

1) downloaded xfce-4.4.1_1.tbz and ran pkg_add against it. It started
but all I got was "Package <insert_names_here> not found!". If it knows
what it needs, why can't it just bust out to your ftp site and get it
and install it?

2) downloaded from your site everything in
/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/x11-wm/xfce/,  which seemed to have all
those required files. Once downloaded, as noted above I ran pkg_add
locally. Some packages installed, but most did not because their
dependencies (such as glib-2.12.13) were not there. If xfce4.4 needs
glib-2.12.13, why can't it (and any others) be included in
.../x11-wm/xfce/ ?

3) Hmmmm....Ok, so then I ran pkg_add
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/All/xfce-4.4.1_1.tbz,
thinking this 'All' directory must have every bloody thing it needs.
Nope. At this point, I start drinking. Heavily.

Btw: it was in your Handbook I found the reference to 'pkg_add -r xfce4'
to install xfce4x (found here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html).
Well, I searched your site for any package specifically labeled 'xfce4'
and I couldn't find it. The closest I got was the dir "xfce" under
ftp.../pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/x11-wm/. So, having seen your list of
ports (and the 'package' listed under each), where can I find a complete
list of packages?

I've cruised many forums for info - nothing truly helpful.

Bottom line, I don't really need xfce 4.4; I'd be happy if 4.2 just
worked (all of it) on a basic level. I'm trying to learn here, and so
far the books, the docs, and other FreeBSD articles out there don't seem
to jibe. I keep reading (my paraphrase): "It's easy! Just run 'pkg_add
-r package_name' and your done!'.  Maybe this is true for some packages,
but not the ones I've tried.

I respect and admire the work you are doing, and what you have
accomplished. I'm not giving up on FreeBSD. Any advice/info would be
appreciated.

cheers,

 - r