xfce 4.4 questions

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sat Aug 25 15:43:04 PDT 2007

On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 06:11:42PM -0400, Richard Deal wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm trying to install xfce 4.4 on my FreeBSD 6.1 box, (which I just
> upgraded via sysinstall). It ain't workin' and I sure could use some help.
> Full disclosure: I'm new to FreeBSD, although I do have a basic working
> knowledge of *nix fundamentals.
>
> I was able to install xfce 4.2, but the install is broken -- allow me to
> explain. Xfce 4.2  does install, I can start it, but several features don't
> work. For example, according to the docs I should see a menu bar (and
> options) on xfterm, but it isn't there. Several other install defaults are
> busted too. I've reinstalled the OS several times from a 'minimal' install
> to 'install EVERYTHING', via the CD, upgrades via sysinstall, via FTP. All
> were successful). I've installed  XFCE4 according to your docs ("pkg_add -r
> xfce4") several times, and from /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4 ("make install
> clean"), but still the same problems. So, I thought I'd try installing a
> newer version of xfce (4.4).
>
> First question: what is a 'meta port', what does it do and what are it's
> limitations?

A 'meta port' is a port which doesn't install anything itself, but just
depends on a bunch of other ports so that they can all get pulled in
automatically.

> Can't find anything in your docs that speak to this (nor any
> of the books I have, most notably the recent 'FreeBSD 6 Unleashed').
> Reading the Ports page of your site, specifically the *xfce-4.4.1_1
> <http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/x11-wm/xfce4>   *metaport;
> 'meta' seems to imply "run this and you'll install all the basics you need
> to run XFCE 4.4". Either it doesn't work or I've misinterpreted this. Under
> xfce-4.4.1, it says: "Requires:...." -- do I really have to install
> _every_single_pkg_listed_ BEFORE I install the xfce-4.4.1 metaport??? If
> so, that seems a bit much. Why can't there be a single manifest file which
> calls/installs all those required pkg's as a part of the metaport
> installation? In order to install xfce 4.4, do I have to manually install
> each and every file/port/pkg listed there which references xfce4.4?

No,no.  The point of the ports system/packages is that all the required
ports will be pulled in and installed automatically.

> After doing a fresh OS install (6.1) from CD (X-Kern-Developer package),
> followed immediately by an upgrade (via sysinstall/FTP) which included an
> istall of the entire ports tree, I tried several ways to install xfce4.4:
>
> 1) downloaded xfce-4.4.1_1.tbz and ran pkg_add against it. It started but
> all I got was "Package <insert_names_here> not found!". If it knows what it
> needs, why can't it just bust out to your ftp site and get it and install
> it?

Because you did not use the '-r' flag to pkg_add which tells it to do
exactly that?

> 2) downloaded from your site everything in
> /pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/x11-wm/xfce/,  which seemed to have all those
> required files. Once downloaded, as noted above I ran pkg_add locally. Some
> packages installed, but most did not because their dependencies (such as
> glib-2.12.13) were not there. If xfce4.4 needs glib-2.12.13, why can't it
> (and any others) be included in .../x11-wm/xfce/ ?

Because they live elsewhere.