Dell Wireless All-In-One 966 Printer

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Aug 11 15:02:31 PDT 2007

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007, White Hat wrote:

> I am considering purchasing a Dell Wireless All-In-One
> 966 Printer, I really need a wireless printer and this
> one seems to be exactly what I am looking for.

No information (yet) on the 966, but the Dell 920 is said to work with
the Lexmark Z600 driver here:

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Dell-AIO_Printer_A920

Not so for the AIO 946:

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Dell-All-in-one_946

> Unfortunately, I have not been able to secure a great deal of
> technical information regarding this device.

It's likely made by Lexmark (maybe the Lexmark X9350) but rebadged and
rechipped so you can only use Dell ink with it.  There's a less than
glowing review of the Dell version here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/multifunction-devices/dell-photo-all-in/4505-3181_7-32129819.html?ar=o&tag=pdtl-list

> Has anyone on this forum used this device with FreeBSD-6.2; and if so,
> where you successful?

Dell's web site shows only Windows drivers for this printer.  Lexmark
says no Linux drivers for the X9350, either.

Dell + Lexmark + AIO - (Linux|FreeBSD drivers) = no thanks.

There are wireless print servers and access points with printer ports
that will let you make most non-host-based printers wireless.  Costs
more, but gives more choices.  The openprinting.org site is a good place
to check printer compatibility.