Convince me, please!

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Thu Aug 9 13:58:54 PDT 2007

Hello Some Person who may Be "Robert"

What problem are you trying to solve?  I wouldn't go into any conversion of this sort unless I had a specific reason, even if that reason is "because I'm bored with Windows."  Each OS out there has a bunch of stuff the others' don't and each user decides what they need from a particular OS and picks the one best-suited to the task.  In general, I would say that FreeBSD is not the appropriate choice for a "user" who is not at least somewhat interested in the how's and why's of the OS.

It sounds like you've already got a firm handle on Windows (if you're like many of us you've been using it for years) so you're probably on the tail end of the learning curve.  If you elect to go with any other OS (FreeBSD OS X, Linux, etc.) there is going to be a whole new learning curve to accommodate.  If you want to delve into FreeBSD then the learning curve is going to include quite a bit of time in front of the CLI.

Regards,

Mike Smith
mksmith at adhost.com (work)
mksmith at mac.com (!work)