Convince me, please!

FreeBSD WickerBill freebsdwicker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 16:19:13 PDT 2007

On 8/10/07, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

> > Start with DesktopBSD 1.6 since it's closer to FreeBSD than PC-BSD if
> > you need to learn FreeBSD more.
>
> both of them should win a similar message at www.freebsd.org
>
> "We are not supporting both DesktopBSD and PC-BSD. that's not out
> products, just loosely based on FreeBSD. Please DO NOT judge FreeBSD based
> of them"

I don't know where you get 'loosely based on' ... both products are based
_directly_ on FreeBSD... PC-BSD 1.3 on 6.1 p11 and 1.4 beta on 6.2 p3.
DesktopBSD 1.6 is based on 6.2 AFAIK. Both _fully_ support ports and
packages and are simply FreeBSD coupled to a KDE desktop of their creator's
choice which you could easily modify using pkg_add/pkg_delete. PC-BSD does
allow a user to use PBIs (Push Button Installer) which will install a
package to it's unique directory with all the dependencies needed in that
directory or one of its subs. This doesn't impinge on either ports or
packages but does tend to use more disk space.

Both current beta products use xorg 7.2.

I too have been using FreeBSD since 2.2.8 and see no problems having a
quick, easy to install (less than 10 minutes on a 165 Opteron) surfing
desktop that doesn't spend 3 hours a day scanning for viruses or spyware.

--
--I'm not 'renting' my OS--