Looking for GIF library in the ports collection

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Sun Apr 15 19:21:51 UTC 2007

Roland Smith wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > I've written a program that generates images.  Currently
 > > it writes them in PPM format, and I would like to add
 > > support for GIF.  So I've looked at the ports collection
 > > for a GIF library and found -- nothing.  The only thing
 > > that comes close is "libungif", but it doesn't create
 > > real compressed GIF files ...
 >
 > You could use the 'convert' program from the ImageMagick suite. Or use
 > its library (libMagick) that you can link into your program.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Well, I already considered to fork/exec an external program
to do the job (although I would use ppmtogif from the netpbm
port, which seems a lot less heavy-weight than ImageMagick).
But my program will be used to create a huge number of small
graphics, so I would prefer to avoid the additional overhead
of fork/exec.

I also noticed that libMagick is 4 MB ...  I don't really
want to link that into my 30 KB program just to get GIF
support.

I've just had a look at sourceforge where libungif is hosted,
noticing that there also is a "giflib" (without "un") from
the same author, and it has the same API and same version
number.  Both libungif and giflib seem to be maintained in
parallel, but the latter is missing from the FreeBSD ports
collection.  I think I'm giving that one a try.

Best regards
   Oliver

$ dd if=/dev/urandom of=test.pl count=1
$ file test.pl