Problems with SATA 2 hard disk while installing FreeBSD 6.1 RELEASE AMD 64

COKYAZICI cokyazici at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 22 04:46:13 UTC 2006

--- Angelo Turetta <aturetta at bestunion.it> wrote:

> COKYAZICI wrote:
> > Hi, I'm trying to install FreeBSD 6.1 RELEASE AMD
> 64
> > on a new computer I bought, it has a ECS C51GM
> > motherboard, with one SATA 2 hard disk, and an AMD
> > Athlon 64 4200+ X2 on socket AM2. When I boot with
> the
> > install CD, it crashes before starting the
> sysinstall,
> > just after it finishes showing the details about
> the
> > DVD writer, which I presume happens when it's
> checking
> > for hard disks.
>
> Although your motherboard seems different, you may
> be experiencing the
> problem described in:
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?450BD996.8090104
> (and referenced
> messages)
>
> Please try one of the 6.2 BETA at the page below
> (even the bootonly
> mini-image): if it is the same problem it will
> recognize your disks.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/where.html#helptest
>
> Angelo.

Thanks a lot Angelo, your advice really helped. I
downloaded the FreeBSD 6.2 BETA 2 AMD 64 Install ISO
(disc 1), which was no problem, it only took me 4
minutes with my connection, anyway, FreeBSD 6.2 BETA 2
AMD 64 detected my SATA 2 hard disk, and installed
without any problems, unlike FreeBSD 6.1 RELEASE AMD
64 which crashed when it was searching for my SATA2
hard disk, but downloading 6.1 wasn't a waste either,
because 6.2 BETA2 didn't have a big package ISO, disc
2, (only 30 something MB) so I used the packages from
FreeBSD 6.1 which seemed to be compatible, because
KDE, GNOME, and every other packages I installed
worked.

I'm so happy that I can use FreeBSD, on this new
computer, I really noticed a big improvement in
performance, in the AMD 64 version, and it also
detected the dual core processor and used both the
processors.

My only problem now is figuring out how to get the
Realtek AL655 6-channel onboard audio and Broadcom
AC131 10/100 onbaord LAN working so I can connect to
the Internet on FreeBSD with the router, like I used
to on my old computer.