Local checkout performance - cvs vs cvsup

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 24 14:26:20 PST 2006

I use cvsup to maintain a full local copy of the CVS
repo. I then use plain cvs to check out different branches
of src from it. The problem is while cvsup only takes a
minute each time I run it, cvs takes several times more.

I run cvsup with "-gs" and cvs with "-rR" flags. Should
I run a local cvsupd server or is there another way to
speed things up? I only need the repo and the branches
in read-only mode.

Thanks!