Java and tomcat

David Robillard david.robillard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 19:06:15 UTC 2006

> Martin,
>
> this 'how to' isn't working... It isn't up to date,
> some downloads doesn't exist
>
> What can I do ?

The java page on the FreeBSD server is for an old version of Tomcat and Java.

To get Tomcat 5.5 running, try this instead.
Note that if you don't have porteasy(1), just install it:

sudo pkg_add -rv porteasy

# Change your Kernel configuration with this line:

options         COMPAT_LINUX

# Rebuilt, install, reboot, as always...
# Hint: Make sure you update your src tree with the latest sources from
# your favorite cvsup mirror :)

# Install the linux binary compatibility.

sudo porteasy -uv emulators/linux_base-rh-9
cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-rh-9
sudo make install clean

# Make sure the /compat/linux/proc file system is mounted at each reboot.
# Edit fstab(5) and add this line:

linproc         /compat/linux/proc              linprocfs  rw
 0       0

# Check that it works by rebooting.

sudo init 6

# Install port java/tomcat5.5 and follow instructions as they appear
when you run make.

sudo porteasy -uv www/tomcat55
cd /usr/ports/www/tomcat55
sudo make

# Follow what will be printed. Basically, what you need to do is download
# java from sun's website and place the file inside your ports tree.
# It's super easy from there.

Good luck,

David

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/java-tomcat/