Why are so many people using 4.x?

Björn König bkoenig at cs.tu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 28 21:14:26 UTC 2006

Joseph Vella schrieb:
> I notice a lot of references to version 4.x.  Is there any overwhelming reason
> why its use seems to be still popular.

Because these systems were installed a few years ago and they are still
runnnig fine. Furthermore it might be not harmless to upgrade a
production server to a newer version of FreeBSD.

> I'm wanting to set up a server (just
> for play) on my home network using a PII machine.  Am I better off using an
> older version for such old equipment?  If so, do any particular versions
> stand out?

Try latest first, i.e. 6.0-RELEASE or 6.1-BETA if you like. I have no
problems with 6.0-RELEASE running on a Pentium III 300 machine.

Björn