Linux migration

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Sun Mar 26 12:05:47 UTC 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:47:54 +0000
Wayne <wayne at nightsol.net> wrote:

> Also another thing that I was thinking about since my original mail,
> things like chkconfig and commands like say 'service network
> restart'. Does such a thing like a "redhat layer" type project exist
> so that emgineers who must convert to freebsd have as much of the day
> to day commands available to them while retraining?

RHE has its ways, fbsd has others. it's not that hard to carry over
really...you can make an simple  cheatsheet for your engineeres.

IMHO, it's quite simple in Freebsd:
 - if service is part of the base os, script is located in /etc/rc.d
 - if service is something you have installed, it's located
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d

Likewise, configuration for base services go in /etc, configuration for
ports goes in /usr/local/etc/

( If you can't tell what is part of the base OS or what is added...you
may have other issues at hand :) )

Since you don't have the SysV style scripts in BSD, what gets run
(base-system or added-from-ports) is defined in /etc/rc.conf (default
options for base services are in /etc/defaults/rc.conf . options for
services from ports are usually in the port documentation or the
startup script)

Regardless of this, scripts in either /etc/rc.d or /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
take the same params as RHE : start, stop, restart, status (+ custom
ones in some services/ports).

so 'service network restart' = /etc/rc.d/netif restart

etc

( I realise you probably know all this, but i have been asked this
quite a few times...so I might as well put it down for the archives :)

Hope it helped someone :)

Best,
Beto