Linux migration

Daniel A. ldrada at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 15:45:12 UTC 2006

On 3/23/06, Wayne <wayne at nightsol.net> wrote:

> On 23/03/2006 14:54, "Jerry McAllister" <jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu> wrote:
> > If you really want to run in RedHat land, then just run RedHat.
> > FreeBSD has its own tools - some of them with the same or similar name
> > and some different that will do what you need just fine.  But they won't
> > turn FreeBSD in to RedHat.   Probably it will be better.
> >
> > ////jerry
> >

> That's a fair point jerry, I was just wondering if something like that
> existed. I prefer a lot of parts of FreeBSD to RHEL especially dealing with
> the kernel. It was just a thought..
> Thanks all the same for you input though..
>
> Regards,
>  Wayne

Well, basically the point of changing to a different OS is lost if you
try to make the new system act like the old one.
I'm not trying to decide anything for you, but if I were to be in your
situation, I would either switch to FreeBSD because there is a clear
reason for me not to stay with Linux, or because there is a clear
reason for me to prefer FreeBSD. In your case, however, it seems that
neither is clear.

Back on topic.
You could ask the users of the system you are wanting to migrate (The
ones who will be directly affected by the changes) if they are willing
to do things the FreeBSD way instead of the Linux way.