Simple DNS For Private LAN

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Fri Jun 23 16:22:06 UTC 2006

On 6/23/2006 8:44 AM Andy Greenwood wrote:
> If you're getting a static IP, then you can become master for your
> domain, but you'll still need a secondary NS, and most (if not all)

Whoops, I forgot about needing a static IP.  I don't have one currently
and I don't know if the new IP will be static or dynamic.  Probably
dynamic but I will check.

> registrars will require that the secondary NS be on a different IP. I
> prefer to have mine on a completely seperate Class A, but that's just
> personal. I'd leave ns3.zoneedit.com as the secondary NS. Both name
> servers will be master for the domain. Master just means that the name
> server won't try to look elsewherefor the info, IIRC, and you don't
> want these name servers to look elsewhere. Yes you can break a lot of
> stuff with wrong DNS, but it really isn't that complicated. Don't
> worry.

So can I set up a "master" on my home network and just leave ZoneEdit
alone?  Then machines on my home network will query my local name server
and the rest of the world will continue to use ZoneEdit?

> As a side note, if you really are a DNS newb, here's some (hopefully
> funny) reading. I can take no credit for this, and I don't have the
> original link.
> http://agreenftp.no-ip.com/dns

Funny!

Thanks,