Simple DNS For Private LAN

Andy Greenwood greenwood.andy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 15:44:52 UTC 2006

If you're getting a static IP, then you can become master for your
domain, but you'll still need a secondary NS, and most (if not all)
registrars will require that the secondary NS be on a different IP. I
prefer to have mine on a completely seperate Class A, but that's just
personal. I'd leave ns3.zoneedit.com as the secondary NS. Both name
servers will be master for the domain. Master just means that the name
server won't try to look elsewherefor the info, IIRC, and you don't
want these name servers to look elsewhere. Yes you can break a lot of
stuff with wrong DNS, but it really isn't that complicated. Don't
worry.

As a side note, if you really are a DNS newb, here's some (hopefully
funny) reading. I can take no credit for this, and I don't have the
original link.
http://agreenftp.no-ip.com/dns