DL360 G4 shared network iLo and FreeBSD

Eric Lakin elakin at infohell.net
Sun Jul 16 20:47:12 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 11:56:47PM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 14:13:57 -0700
> Eric Lakin <elakin at infohell.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to setup a DL360 G4 for use in a colo environment with
> > FreeBSD. I've run into one problem: I've setup the iLo to use the
> > "shared network" option, which allows the iLo to share the same network
> > interface as the host computer. But the iLo hangs whenever the FreeBSD
> > kernel loads.
>
> FWIW, we have a bunch of 360s but running the iLo independently from the main
> card. They work just great, but never tried them on the other setting.
> Beto

I have not had issues when using the dedicated iLo network interface
either. But, when I ship the machine off to the colo, it'll only have
one network drop - so either I get the iLo working in shared mode, or I
don't get to use the iLo at all.

After further testing, i've found that it's the bge driver that's
hanging the iLo in shared network mode. Which makes sense. It looks like
that driver is reading at a low enough level from the hardware that it's
intercepting packets destined for the iLo. So the iLo isn't hanging -
it's just not receiving any traffic after the bge driver gets loaded.
No clue if/how to fix this however.

--
         You are in a maze of twisty little email threads, all alike
         [    elakin at infohell.net     |     elakin at comcast.net     ]