Lockup when suspending from X

Norberto Meijome numard at meijome.net
Sun Jan 29 06:36:51 PST 2006

Hi all,
I need some help trying to understand why this is happening.

apm -z (or zzz) works just fine from any of the text-based virtual
consoles. If I run it from a shell in X, either as root or myself with
sudo, the computer locks up - no panic, nothing . The only change I can
see is the light in the USB mouse goes out,  and that's it, total lock.

If I do ctrl-Alt-F1 , a non-stopping beeping ensues.

Upon restart, there is no log whatsoever of the apm -z  attempt, and
background fsck is run against all partitions

sudo apm -z works fine.
It happens in X having kdm or not kdm, KDE or just an xterm with no
window manager running (aka 'failsafe'  session type in kdm)

- Toshiba Tecra A2, Bios 1.30
- FreeBSD xxxxxxx 6.0-STABLE FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #0: Thu Jan 19 01:54:47
EST 2006     root at xxxxxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

- APM, no ACPI (disabled via boot/device.hints) (long story, tons of
g_vfs_done errors on resume) works for suspend (apm -z )and standby (apm
-Z) .
- rc.conf : allscreens_flags="MODE_30"
apm_enable="YES"
apmd_enable="YES"
(and lots others, but only these seem relevant)
- Xserver : xorg-server-6.8.2_6  ,    xorg-libraries-6.9.0
- KDE 3.4.2

Thanks in advance for any help / information!!
Beto