gamin vs fam

dick hoogendijk dick at nagual.st
Sun Jan 29 05:13:19 PST 2006

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:17:28 +0100
Michael Nottebrock <lofi at freebsd.org> wrote:

> dick hoogendijk schrieb:
> > Running pkgdb -F everytime is not pleasant. What is (are) the
> > advantage (s) of gamin over fam? Is it wise to change to gamin?
>
> The recent change of the USE_FAM default was done without proper
> testing
> - others have already reported problems with gamin, especially in the
> case of courier-imap.
>
> You can however avoid the pkgdb -F dance (if you compile from ports):
> Set WITH_FAM_SYSTEM=fam in /etc/make.conf - this will change the
> default back to fam.

OK, understood.
However, as I understand it, portupgrade (the one I use) does not look
at /etc/make.conf so I still have to put WITH_FAM_SYSTEM="YES" into
pkgtools.conf and don't know exactly for which programs ;-( This is not
good.. Aahhrrgg <g>

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 6.0 ++ The Power to Serve