Odd Partition/Newfs Question

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Jan 27 06:58:56 PST 2006

> I don't think I've done any harm, but I wanted another opinion or two.
>
> Added an additional hard drive to an existing setup.
> Then gave the following commands:
>
> bsdlabel -w /dev/ad2
> newfs -U -O 2 /dev/ad2
> mount /dev/ad2 /mnt/ad2
>
> then went about the business of moving and rearranging for having the new disk.
> After the machine was back in production, I saw the odd mount point.
>
> My question is, have I just ended up ignoring the bsdlabel command and I'm
> using the entire disk as a "raw disk" or is there some set of reasons I should
> re-bsdlabel and newfs /dev/ad2a this time.

What do you mean 'odd mount point'.   You don't give any information
that would make it seem odd.

What does doing 'bsdlabel ad2'  show you?
Does it seem happy?
Does newfs seem happy?

What you have done is create a "dangerously" dedicated disk,
but that shouldn't be a problem.    Usually, I would do an fdisk
and create slices and a partition within the first slice so
my addressing would look more like  /dev/ad2s1a.

But, I don't think that should cause a problem if you only use
the whole disk for FreeBSD.

////jerry