Odd Partition/Newfs Question

John Hoover johnfhoover at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 07:40:43 PST 2006

> > Added an additional hard drive to an existing setup.
> > Then gave the following commands:
> >
> > bsdlabel -w /dev/ad2
> > newfs -U -O 2 /dev/ad2
> > mount /dev/ad2 /mnt/ad2
> >
> > then went about the business of moving and rearranging for having the new disk.
> > After the machine was back in production, I saw the odd mount point.
> >
> > My question is, have I just ended up ignoring the bsdlabel command and I'm
> > using the entire disk as a "raw disk" or is there some set of reasons I should
> > re-bsdlabel and newfs /dev/ad2a this time.
>
> What do you mean 'odd mount point'.   You don't give any information
> that would make it seem odd.
>
> What does doing 'bsdlabel ad2'  show you?
> Does it seem happy?
> Does newfs seem happy?

I didn't include output from bsdlabel, as it didn't show anything unexpected
%bsdlabel /dev/ad2
# /dev/ad2:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a: 490234736       16    unused        0     0
  c: 490234752        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part,
don't edit

which looked right, the odd part was the fact that I issued
newfs /dev/ad2  in place of the usual
newfs /dev/ad2a

So it looked to me as I just ignored the bsdlabel command and newfs'd the
entire disk starting at an offset of 0 instaid of the usual offset of 16
With this being a non boot disk, I wasn't worried about it, I'm
expecting that the
bsdlabel information will get overwritten by the directory structure
sooner or later.
Except for forgetting that I have a device with a filesystem and no
slices/partitions
my concern is that there is some internal bookkeeping issue that I'm
not aware of
that will cause trouble if I don't have valid label information on the disk.

Oh, I tested it with another disk, the directory entries will
overwrite the label information,
no real surprise there.

John.
--