install help? make: don't know how to make package-depends-list. Stop

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Jan 24 06:10:36 PST 2006

Joseph Vella <satyam at sklinks.com> writes:

> I tried to install bluefish. I might have made a mess.

Apparently, but you can always clean up with pkg_delete(8).
That's one of the good things about sticking with the ports system.

> I first downloaded the package from the freebsd ftp site.  I did pkg_add.  It
> complained about cairo and weblint.  So I downloaded those.  pkg_add
> installed but with errors.  Then when I tried to run it, it had incompatible
> libraries errors.

Sounds like you got packages for the wrong FreeBSD version.  If you
wanted help with that, we would need more information.  But "pkg-add -r"
should get it right for basic installs.

> So I found /usr/ports/www/bluefish and did make install which told me to make
> deinstall then make reinstall.  I did those.
>
> This was the final outcome:
> .
> .
> ===>   Compressing manual pages for bluefish-1.0.1
> ===>   Registering installation for bluefish-1.0.1
> make: don't know how to make package-depends-list. Stop

Just "make install", perhaps?

> Prajipati-FreeBSD# type bluefish
> type: Command not found.

bluefish isn't the "Command not found."  type is the command it can't
find.  type isn't a program; it's a builtin on sh-style shells, but
not on csh-style shells, which you appear to be using.  Try the
standard Unix command "which" instead.  [Not that I think it will help
in this case, because I don't think bluefish actually is installed at
that point.  But pkg_info(1) will tell you.]