again canon printer trouble

Michal Mertl mime at traveller.cz
Thu Jan 19 15:20:17 PST 2006

ivan.roth at free.fr wrote:
> Michal Mertl wrote:
> > ivan.roth at free.fr wrote:
> >
> >>Ok, two short questions.
> >>
> >>-Is someone able to translate this for me (seems to be Czech)?
> >>  http://www.abclinuxu.cz/hardware/show/65412;jsessionid=10vmgmw8u8l16
> >>
> >>-May my problem be due to acpi in any way? I don't know acpi either. But may
> try
> >>something like debug.acpi.disabled="isa" in /boot/device.hints. Good or bad
> idea
> >>?
> >

> > Hello. I am Czech. The page talks about using the printer under Linux.
> > Canon provides drivers for it. I don't know if they can be used because
> > I don't know the CUPS much. If the driver/filter program is (can be)
> > invoked manually, you could probably use it with FreeBSD native CUPS. If
> > not you can possibly run Linux CUPS and print to it even from FreeBSD
> > native applications. If the program directly communicates with the
> > printer you may be out of luck because you don't run Linux kernel and
> > the emulation may not be complete in these low-level areas.
> >
> > I didn't see your original post but printing issue can not be caused by
> > ACPI unless the interface for printing doesn't work at all. If for
> > example you use USB connection to the printer and something else USB
> > works, than ACPI can't be at fault.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Michal
> >

> Hi Michal,
>
> Definetely this ML should be read at least by czech people. Others are welcome
> for sure. Thanks a million for your translation and re-explanation.
>
> I am going to test in that way tomorrow. Of course, I still do not understand
> why I cannot print directly with > /dev/lpt0.

I have never tried this but I believe it should work. You have to know
how to talk to your printer, usualy using some language like Postscript
or PCL or some vendor special language for modern ink printers.

> About acpi, I told that because I have ppc0: <Standard parallel printer port>
> port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on acpi0 in dmesg and all the examples I saw had isa
> instead of acpi. Any idea? Is it normal?

I think that the old reports were from older FreeBSD version which
didn't have ACPI or from old machines which didn't have lpt in ACPI.
Nowadays "on acpi0" is pretty common.