again canon printer trouble

ivan.roth at free.fr ivan.roth at free.fr
Wed Jan 18 15:58:35 PST 2006

Michal Mertl wrote:
> ivan.roth at free.fr wrote:
>
>>Ok, two short questions.
>>
>>-Is someone able to translate this for me (seems to be Czech)?
>>  http://www.abclinuxu.cz/hardware/show/65412;jsessionid=10vmgmw8u8l16
>>
>>-May my problem be due to acpi in any way? I don't know acpi either. But may
try
>>something like debug.acpi.disabled="isa" in /boot/device.hints. Good or bad
idea
>>?
>

> Hello. I am Czech. The page talks about using the printer under Linux.
> Canon provides drivers for it. I don't know if they can be used because
> I don't know the CUPS much. If the driver/filter program is (can be)
> invoked manually, you could probably use it with FreeBSD native CUPS. If
> not you can possibly run Linux CUPS and print to it even from FreeBSD
> native applications. If the program directly communicates with the
> printer you may be out of luck because you don't run Linux kernel and
> the emulation may not be complete in these low-level areas.
>
> I didn't see your original post but printing issue can not be caused by
> ACPI unless the interface for printing doesn't work at all. If for
> example you use USB connection to the printer and something else USB
> works, than ACPI can't be at fault.
>
> HTH
>
> Michal

Hi Michal,

Definetely this ML should be read at least by czech people. Others are welcome
for sure. Thanks a million for your translation and re-explanation.

I am going to test in that way tomorrow. Of course, I still do not understand
why I cannot print directly with > /dev/lpt0.

About acpi, I told that because I have ppc0: <Standard parallel printer port>
port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on acpi0 in dmesg and all the examples I saw had isa
instead of acpi. Any idea? Is it normal?

Thanks again Michal.

--
Regards, Ivan