loosing hair inside canon printer...

ivan.roth at free.fr ivan.roth at free.fr
Wed Jan 18 08:21:44 PST 2006

Hi,

Thanks all first, for the help you gave me yesterday. I begin hating Canon.
Still nothing printed.

I am going to gathered all information about what I did and hope you could give
me something :)

For the moment, I only want to be able to print the more disgusting raw text,
even only "hello world!", without the "!" if it is too much complicated. But I
want it with a line like echo "hello world" > /dev/lpt0

Why do this so simple line not work?

I don't know anything about ECP, EPP and Centronics, but I tested all the
configuration from BIOS. I have "Standard", "ECP", "EPP" and "EPP+ECP" choices.
For each one I have to choose IRQ, DMA and sometimes another one. For now it is
set to Standard, IRQ 7 DMA 3 (BIOS default).

This said, I have this in dmesg:

----------------
ppc0: <ECP parallel printer port> port 0x378-0x37f,0x778-0x77b irq 7 drq 3 flags
0x28 on acpi0
ppc0: Generic chipset (ECP-only) in ECP mode
ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/16 bytes threshold
ppbus0: <Parallel port bus> on ppc0
ppc0: <Standard parallel printer port> port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 flags 0x28 on
acpi0
ppc0: Generic chipset (ECP-only) in ECP mode
ppbus0: <Parallel port bus> on ppc0
ppbus0: <Parallel port bus> on ppc0
ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE/ECP
Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
ppbus0: <Canon i865/1.13> PRINTER BJL,BJRaster3,BSCCe
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
ppbus0: <Parallel port bus> on ppc0
ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE/ECP
Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
ppbus0: <Canon i865/1.13> PRINTER BJL,BJRaster3,BSCCe
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
----------------

simple question: how freebsd know about the name of my printer?

note the flags 0x28 I had to /boot/device.hints after reading a tutorial. I am
going to remove it as it makes nothing better.

And maybe it is the reason of my last issue.

# chkprintcap
chkprintcap: WARNING: found 1 entries when skimming /etc/printcap
chkprintcap: WARNING: but only found 0 queues to process!

Note that this is already too far since I want an output with redirection (>
/dev/lpt0).

Of course, I am still searching over the web for some still unknown website with
useful information.

--
Thank you, Ivan.