Share desktop with XOrg

Alejandro Pulver alejandro at varnet.biz
Mon Jan 30 19:24:42 PST 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:04:59 -0800
Garrett Cooper <youshi10 at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Erik Osterholm wrote:

See below.

> >>I hoped there is a more native solution. I prefer gtk over kde but
> >>what can I do?
> >>Thanks,
> >>

> >The x11vnc port may do what you want.  Give that a look.
> >
> >Erik
> >

>     It is a wonderful port. It provides access to your display that
> you specify (if you are the "owner" of the display), and emulates it
> via VNC. It will take up less memory than straight VNC since it uses
> the existing X server (if it is running), and attaches to it and
> allows VNC connections to that specific instance of the X server.
> -Garrett

Hello,

I just want to add that I have been told that it is possible to use VNC
to connect to an active display.

"RealVNC will allow you to open a connection on an already open
display. All that is needed is to add a vnc module to X and some other
very simple modifications to the xorg.conf. The directions to do this
are located at: http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/x0.html.
RealVNC is located in 'net/vnc'."

There is also 'net/vino' for Gnome.

Best Regards,