Dual Core vs HyperThreading vs Dual CPU

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 12:36:17 PST 2006

--- Gerard Seibert <gerard at seibercom.net> wrote:

> Danial Thom <danial_thom at yahoo.com>
>

> > --- "Andrew P." <infofarmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > On 1/10/06, Marc G. Fournier
> <scrappy at hub.org>

> better
> > > (can't believe that they took
> rate?  I
> > > know that HyperThreading is
> does
> > > Dual Core get?
> > >
> > > There is extensive evidence (google for
> that,
> > > please), that
> > > HT is even slower than a single core in
> quite a
> > > few applications.
> > > Moreover, the whole HT implementation has
> been
> > > shown to
> > > be a security risk. In the near future
> intel is
> > > going to spend $1.9bn
> > > on its new marketing campaign. If you wanna
> be
> > > part of it,
> > > buy their CPU, half of the money will be in
> > > your nearest billboard.
> > >
> > > Dual-core is a new, and a very smart
> concept,
> > > which is exactly
> > > equal to a dual-cpu configuration in terms
> of
> > > performance per
> > > core - plus it provides a huge cut down on
> > > power consumption,
> > > and a theoretically hugely faster
> > > interconnection between the
> > > cores (they are physically many times
> closer).
> >
> > Thats not entirely true, as its not *exactly*
> the
> > same. It looks the same to an O/S, but things
> are
> > wire differently, so there are likely to be
> some
> > differences.
> >

> > > By 2010 we'll see 4-core, 8-core and maybe
> even
> > > 16/32 solutions.
> >
> > Intel has implied that they will have
> > multi-multicore processors (more then 2) a
> lot
> > sooner than you think. But for now the
> multicore
> > thing is just marketing hype because most
> O/Ses
> > don't utilize DP efficiently enough to make
> the
> > gains worthwhile. You'll likely see more
> urgency
> > to produce them when OS'es can actually
> benefit
> > from them. Most people today who use DP
> system
> > just "assume" they are faster or better
> without
> > having any real clue if they are or not.
> >
> > DT
> >
> Dell has a graphic display of the difference
> between its processors
> available at:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/dimen/topics/en/dimen_xps600_sp_specs?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Wait, I can "download music, run a virus scanner
and play games" all at the same time? wow. Wait,
I can do that anyway. Does each core have its own
hard drive too?

I wonder how many meetings they had before they
came up with that "description" of the benefits
of dual core technology. People are so easily
bamboozled.

DT