Haven't been able to make world in about a year

Donald J. O'Neill duncan.fbsd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 08:37:02 PST 2006

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 09:02, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2006-02-28 08:48, "Donald J. O'Neill" <duncan.fbsd at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 February 2006 05:46, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > > Until you are satisfied that everything works without any
> > > problems at all, please don't use scripts to run the builds.
> > >
> > > For instance, your script above lacks a call to ``mergemaster
> > > -p'' before the ``make buildworld'' step, which may be necessary.
> >
> > That's a call to 'script' to run, telling it where to put the
> > resulting text file. While it is running, commands are given and
> > executed. Later, if something goes wrong, or you saw something you
> > want to check on, you have a record of what happened that you can
> > look at, and pass on to others, if needed.
> >
> > Could you explain the logic of running mergemaster -p, when you
> > have nothing to run it on. /usr/obj was blown away at the beginning
> > of the buildworld sequence. What are you going to check at that
> > point? Please take a look at the handbook for the sequence that
> > things should occur in. I would say look at /usr/src/UPDATING, but
> > their sequence doesn't include installing the kernel anymore.
>
> On 2006-02-28 09:52, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> > He means to run mergemaster -p before make installworld, as in the
> > instructions quoted at the top of this email and in
> > /usr/src/UPDATING. Also, the documented sequence *does* include
> > installing the kernel, so I don't know what you mean there either.
>
> Yes, thanks Kris.
>
> Sorry for the buildworld/installworld confusion.  I meant right
> before 'make installworld'.
>
> There are cases where 'installworld' will try to chown files to a
> newly added system account (i.e. `_dhcp'), but will fail, leaving a
> half-installed system if you don't run ``mergemaster -p'' before
> ``installworld''.
>
> This is why I suggested *avoiding* a scripted, unattended build and
> install cycle, until the OP who started this thread is comfortable
> that his builds and installs are indeed going to succeed.

I knew where to do it, I hoped you did, but the OP might not and try to
do it where you said.

I agree with you on running a script. What I told the OP to do was run
script and do things inside there. After I sent my response off, I took
another look at what Kristian had written and decided I misunderstood
what you had said. Sorry, I agree with you to not run it in a script,
however, I do think he should run the program 'script' and do things
from there, to at least have something to refer to when things go
wrong. They will go wrong.

Don