setting up french keyboard

Peter petermatulis at yahoo.ca
Sun Feb 26 20:16:05 PST 2006

--- "Webster, Andrew" <awebster at connectalk.com> wrote:

> output

> > > Hey!  This works in my X windows (é, è, ç, à, ê, ï) but my
> > > terminal
> > > emits beeps.  Is this normal?  Is the an easier way (X gadget) to
> toggle
> > > back or do I need to always use the setxkbmap command?
>
> Hmm, looks like you are outputting UTF-8 instead of ISO-8859-1, or at
> least your mailer is doing that.  UTF-8 is 16bit characters for the
> accented characters.
> Which window manager are you using with X?  KDE or Gnome?  Both have
> keyboard manipulation tools as part of their packages.
>
> Personally I prefer the US International keyboard.  This way the
> characters stay where they belong, but ', ", ^, ~, and ` are dead keys,
> so if you type ' followed by a you get �.
>
> I don't know if there is a quick switch key combination as in windows,
> but I'm sure there is something that can be setup.

Allrighty.  I installed xxkb and it works well for toggling languages
(keyboard mappings).  I can also achieve the same effect using a
key-combination.  I am using the fluxbox window manager.

So the problem remains that what I see when I type is not what appears in
a browser.  For instance, the following character is an 'E' with a small
"front slash" on top of it: É.  Is that what YOU see right now?

I also cannot type out any of these characters at an xterm or on the
console.

--
Peter