best approach to clone a disk?

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Tue Feb 14 09:51:00 PST 2006

I use the Norton ghost program. You have to first install ghost on a
window box and then create a  ms/dos bootable floppy with ghost on
it. Them boot your FreeBSD box with that floppy and ghost image the
hard drive with mbr to cdrom or dvd. You can then boot the target
box with that same floppy and restore the cdrom/dvd even if the hd
is bigger than the source one.

Using 2003 version of ghost I first zero out all the free space on
FreeBSD so ghost will compress it in the backup image which makes
ghost run faster on bkup and restore.

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/filler bs=1m ; rm /filler
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/filler bs=1m ; rm /tmp/filler
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/usr/filler bs=1m ; rm /usr/filler
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/filler bs=1m ; rm /var/filler

Of course this is a hands on method. You have to have physical
access to the source and target pc's to do this.