Upgrade a binary package

Rob Hurle rob at coombs.anu.edu.au
Sat Dec 16 02:55:51 PST 2006

This thread has been interesting:

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, RW wrote:

> Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 00:17:42 +0000
> From: RW <fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com>
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: Upgrade a binary package

>>> sysutils/portupgrade is the usual tool.  I think portmaster can do this
>>> too.
>>
>> 	portmanager lang/expect -l
>
> Portmanager cannot upgrade from binary packages - only from ports.
>
> One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the packages for a release are
> not normally updated. From the handbook,  4.4.1 Installing a Package:
>
> "Note: pkg_add(1) will download the latest version of your application if you
> are using FreeBSD-CURRENT or FreeBSD-STABLE. If you run a -RELEASE version,
> it will grab the version of the package that was built with your release. It
> is possible to change this behavior by overriding the PACKAGESITE environment
> variable."
>
> See the manual for how to fetch 6-stable packages

But, how to do this using portupgrade?  I have:

#uname -a
FreeBSD freebsd.connect-a.com.au 6.1-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p5A

and in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf we see:

OS_PKGBRANCH="6-stable"

but when I try portupgrade, this is what happens:

++ Will try the following sites in the order named:
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.1-release/

That is, portupgrade always tries the release version and, of course,
the "stable" version is not there.  If I manually try the above ftp
location, it is possible to navigate to .../packages-6-stable.  How
can I make portupgrade do what it is told and get to this stable
branch?  Do I have to cvsup the system to 6-STABLE (which I intend to
do fairly soon anyway)?  Do I have to manually retrieve the "stable"
packages?  The portupgrade command is:

 	portupgrade -rPn kde

(the "n" is there at the moment for testing).  Any ideas as to where
to look would be great (the Handbook as installed on my 6.1 release is
no help in this area).  Thanks heaps.

Cheers,

Rob Hurle
 	Rob Hurle		Faculty of Asian Studies, ANU
 	Home address and contacts:	 Tel: +61 2 6247 2397
 	  PO Box 4013			 Fax: +61 2 6247 2397
 	  Ainslie		     Cell phone: 0417 293 603
 	  Australia		e-mail: rob at coombs.anu.edu.au