Upgrade a binary package

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Thu Dec 14 16:29:14 PST 2006

On Thursday 14 December 2006 20:55, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> On Thursday December 14, 2006 at 03:11:30 (PM) Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > > I only find info on "pkg_add" and "pkg_delete" for binary packages, the
> > > only references to updating a package give directions on how to use the
> > > ports tree.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to update an installed package with a newer version?
> >
> > sysutils/portupgrade is the usual tool.  I think portmaster can do this
> > too.
>
> 	portmanager lang/expect -l

Portmanager cannot upgrade from binary packages - only from ports.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the packages for a release are
not normally updated. From the handbook,  4.4.1 Installing a Package:

"Note: pkg_add(1) will download the latest version of your application if you
are using FreeBSD-CURRENT or FreeBSD-STABLE. If you run a -RELEASE version,
it will grab the version of the package that was built with your release. It
is possible to change this behavior by overriding the PACKAGESITE environment
variable."

See the manual for how to fetch 6-stable packages