FreeBSD 6.2/AMD64: supports TYAN Tomcat n3400B motherboard?

Chad Gross avatar4d at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 09:32:33 PST 2006

On 12/13/06, Peter A. Giessel <pgiessel at mac.com> wrote:

> On 2006/12/13 4:47, O. Hartmann seems to have typed:
> > TYAN Tomcat n3400B motherboard (TYAN S2925G2NR).
> [snip]
> > The main question is: will FreeBSD 6.2/amd64 work with this board?
>
> I don't see it on the list of tested motherboards.  If compatibility is
> really important to you, check the list:
> http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html
>
> It may work, it may not.  Just because its not on the list, doesn't mean
> that it won't work, it just hasn't been tested. OTOH, it may not be on
> the list because it doesn't work.  Just from skimming the list, it seems
> that many nVidia chipsets have issues with their ethernet controller.

If this is the case than why not include a "Doesn't Work" list as well? That
would stop the guessing on whether it doesn't work or hasn't been tested. If
hardware doesn't appear on the "It Works" nor the "Doesn't Work" lists, than
one can assume that it hasn't been tested.

This could save a lot of headaches (and $$$).

Chad