access to Echange server via IMAP

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Wed Aug 9 15:58:14 UTC 2006

Matthias Apitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Our central mail server is Exchange (please no comments :-))
>
> On my FreeBSD notebook I'm using as MUA mutt, fetchmail with
> IMAP to get the e-mail and sendmail to send mail over to the
> Exchange, so far so good and I'm happy with it.
>
> Btw: one could even access the INBOX with something like
> $ mutt -f imap://server/
> but fetchmail is better, I think.
>
> The only problem is access to common address books. Is there
> some IMAP-client in the ports or elsewhere for FreeBSD for fetching
> the address books from the Exchange server? Or does anybody know
> how to do this speaking IMAP with telnet like:

Assuming you have a legitimate account, any LDAP browser *should* be
able to grab the address books.  This assumes (although I haven't tried
it) that you could set up an addressbook using LDAP and the DC and get
your addressbooks.  (I believe Exchange's GAL is just a pointer to the
DC's schema and data.)

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer