Same error with all ports install!

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sun Apr 23 17:39:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 05:27:45PM +0000, Marwan Sultan wrote:

> Hello Bill, Hello Garrett,
>
>  First I would like to thank you for the support and time you are giving me
> and to everyone.
>
>  Yes I ran memtest86 from a bootable cd on the two DDR chipsets and after
> like 10+ hours
>  It found 3 errors! is it reasnable?

If memtest86 shows *any* errors it means that the RAM does not work as it
should and you should expect you system to crash or otherwise misbehave at
inopportune moments.

If you run memtest86 for a long time (24 hours or more) and it does not
show any errors then the memory probably good.
If memtest86 shows any error (not matter if it is after 2 minutes or after 2
days) then there is definitely a problem with the memory.  (It might be the
CPU which is bad also, but that is rare.)

>  Anyhow I replaced the two DDR with diffrent 1 256 DDR chipset and it start
> to give the error I
>  wrote in my email.
>  But I didnot run the memtest86 on the new RAM (well it not brand new) i
> had it somewhere.
> I will run the memtest86 on the new installed ram, and let you know.

If you can adjust the memory timings in BIOS (which is usually possible)
check that they are not set too optimistically.  Trying to run RAM at speeds
it is not built for will generally make it unstable.

Check also that your system has sufficient cooling (especiall the CPU, but
also other components like harddisks or graphics card.)  Overheating can
often make electronic components misbehave.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se