DMA TIMEOUT

Wil Hatfield freebsd at hyperconx.com
Thu Apr 13 11:47:21 UTC 2006

> I had a similar situation under 6.0. My secondary drive would
> throw DMA read
> errors at bootup, adding several minutes to the boot process, so
> I ran it in
> PIO mode. The upgrade to 6.1 solved it, both drives work fine as DMA now.

Looks like the DMA errors are back in 6.1-RC with ATA or at least similar
DMA errors. The new one froze my machine with an error like "Error while
performing DMA_WRITE command". A new twist to the WRITE_DMA Timeouts of 5.4.
I am starting to think that they aren't going to get the ATA issues all
worked out anytime soon so they are changing the errors. ;-)

And of course no automatic reboot on panic.

--
Wil Hatfield