DMA TIMEOUT

David J Brooks daeg at houston.rr.com
Thu Apr 13 07:28:20 UTC 2006

On Thursday 13 April 2006 01:58, Perttu Laine wrote:
> I have problem with ATA drive having DMA TIMEOUTs.
> It might work day or two fine with DMA mode on but then system halts on
> those dma timeout problems.
>
> hardware is:
> atapci0 at pci2:5:0:       class=0x018085 card=0x4d68105a chip=0x4d69105a
> rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'Promise Technology Inc'
>     device   = 'PDC20269 Ultra133 TX2 EIDE Controller'
>     class    = mass storage
>
> and PDC20269 is on supported list (5.4-RELEASE).
>
> and has one 160GB drive in it. When I first got this problem I tried change
> cable, changed drive to another similar one and moved drive to different
> place on card. No help. Now it has been running on PIO mode about a year
> without any problems at all.
>
> So I wonder if there actually is some problem in ata drivers and is there
> maybe any fixes on those drivers in new releases? So would upgrade to 5.5
> or 6.1 help on this? upgrade from 5.3 to 5.4 didn't help...
>
> I can actually run it on PIO-mode but sometimes DMA could give little more
> speed so if you would be cool if I can get it work with DMA mode on.

I had a similar situation under 6.0. My secondary drive would throw DMA read
errors at bootup, adding several minutes to the boot process, so I ran it in
PIO mode. The upgrade to 6.1 solved it, both drives work fine as DMA now.

David
--
Sure God created the world in only six days,
but He didn't have an established user-base.