Keypad no longer works under X

Donald T Hayford don at donhayford.com
Fri Apr 7 18:16:23 UTC 2006

Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> Vayu wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 06 April 2006 19:47, Donald T Hayford wrote:
>>

>>> My numeric keypad no longer works under X
>>
>> Since when?
>>

> And, I have to ask, since you didn't mention it ... you've
> replaced the keyboard to rule out hardware issues?
>
>>> except as a way to move the  mouse cursor (i.e., no 1-9, etc).  The
>>> LED changes states when pushed.  I've searched through the X.org
>>> site but haven't found anything of use.  Does anybody know how to
>>> fix this?  My xorg.conf looks like this:
>>>
>>> /Section "ServerLayout"
>>>    Identifier     "X.org Configured"
>>>    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>>>    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>>>    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>>> EndSection
>>>
>>> <some other stuff>
>>>
>>> Section "InputDevice"
>>>    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>>>    Driver      "kbd"
>>> EndSection
>>>
>>> <more stuff>
>>> /
>>>
>>> I'm running FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE, with X version 6.9.0.  I use KDE
>>> as the X desktop.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help,
>>> Don Hayford
>>>

> I sure don't see anything there that gives a clue.  Have you tried
> and duplicated the problem with a different WM?
>
> Kevin Kinsey

I built and installed gnome2-lite and the keypad works correctly.  It
also works correctly under Fedora Core 4 (dual-boot machine.  Sorry I
didn't mention that earlier).

So, I suppose I should apologize to X.org and change the title to
"Keypad no longer works under KDE 3.5".  I presumed the problem was with
X and not KDE since I had such trouble with my mouse when I upgraded  X
to R6 and then saw that X had recently changed the keyboard driver.  I
don't know exactly when it stopped working, but I'm guessing when I
upgraded from KDE 3.4 to 3.5 in early February, 2006.

I googled "kde keypad problem" and found a reference that suggested
hiding (renaming) the .kde subdirectory and the ,kderc file, both in the
user's home directory.  When I restarted X, I had to go through the kde
setup again, but the keypad works now.

You guys are geniuses.

Thanks for your time,
Don Hayford