long ftp dir listings

Mike Hernandez sequethin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 10:14:00 PDT 2005

On 9/29/05, David <freebsd-questions at gv.net> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am often annoyed trying to get a long directory listing from my unix box
> while ftp'ing somewhere. <pause> is hardly useful, since the listing goes
> by to quickly. Occasionally, I have found a site that uses |more , but this
> is unusual. I often resort to using ftp in Windows DOS mode so I can scroll
> up a long listing. Any good methods would be appreciated.

I use zsh's built in ftp.  It's as simple as this (assuming zsh is installed):

#[probably put this in .zshrc]
zmodload zsh/zftp
autoload -U zfinit
zfinit

zfopen ftp.whatever.foo
[user & pass when prompted]
zfcd pub/example/test/etc
zfls|less

The real beauty of it is that you can use all of zsh's expansions and
the ftp stuff sits in the background while you use your shell.  For
more info man zshzftpsys

Good luck :)

Mike