Bye-bye beastie ...

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Tue Sep 27 17:33:14 PDT 2005

On Sep 27, 2005, at 8:00 PM, Danny Pansters wrote:

> But I think what may be a problem is that the normal? people don't
> see any
> "progress" or rather movement then. Which may lead them to think
> that the
> system is stalled. It's my understanding that something like a
> "progress" bar
> like WinXP has (it doesn't need to show progress, just that
> something's going
> on behind the splash) would be very hard if not impossible to add. But
> perhaps it is or can be made possible to have a gif or a bitmap in
> which a
> partial clipping changes every second or so (some left-to-right-and-
> back
> moving thingie).

You can do what Mac OS X does under Tiger -- it uses a canned
progress bar based on timing done from previous boots.  They time how
long the boot process is where they want the progress bar and then
put up a canned one that moves and lists what it is doing, but that
list is just timed for the average boot time and is not actually
synced to show the correct actions in the boot as they happen.  (At
least that was how it was explained in forum I am on)

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Your Web App and Email hosting provider